04 November 2006

Orchestra della Toscana

I went to the orchestra last night by myself and had a marvelous time. Between the Ravel piano concerto and Stravinsky's Pulcinella, it was all I could do not to stand up after every selection. It wasn't really even the quality of the orchestra- they were certainly not the best I had ever hear (especially those woodwinds...eek). But I think I realized a few things while I was there.
I realized how much I love music. It has always been a huge part of my life, but sometimes I take it for granted. It's so fun, interesting, entertaining, thought provoking, emotional, and intricate. What more could you want, really? I might only know 3 1/2 years of an undergrad degree about music, but I love it. It is comforting, but at the same time able to be criticized and critiqued (and it can't bite back). It's a discussion starter between people that share the common interest of music as well as a healthy thing to be on your mind. I just sat there with a huge smile on my face in gratefulness for such a wonderful thing (I know, Abbey, you threw up a little in your mouth, didn't you?).
And music is a lot like life. You can work and work and work to be perfect, but you'll never get there. Even music has its faults, just like the rest of us. The inability to be perfect. But we must strive to be perfect because we are called to do so (Matt 5:48).
Good thing I've got grace.
That's the one thing music doesn't have, just 2000 critical audience memebers waiting for you to screw up. And we've got One audience member waiting to catch us when we fall.

2 comments:

greensing said...

a little Chicago, anyone?

"you bring meaning to my life--you're the inspiration---i wanna have you near me...i wanna have you near me...sayyahhauuuuu...blahblahblah"

(point is, that was inspirational.) sometimes i let myself get bogged down by all of the details in "learning" music, and i have to remind myself why i love it so much.

ps- i saw the milan orchestra play when i was in florence. did you go to the teatro communale?

Katie said...

This was at Teatro Verdi (the picture on the post is the inside of the theater). I saw the Barber of Seville at Teatro Communale with Daniele Barcelona, though!