13 November 2006

Conio Olive Grove

I had the opportunity to go to the Conio Groves on the outskirts of Florence in a town called San Donato in Poggio. I got to help the havest for a few hours by picking olives. It was about 60 degrees and sunny on one of the most beautiful pieces of land I have ever seen. It was set back from the road with vineyards and olive trees lining every view. The vineyards are just now starting to change colors- they look like a rainbow on the backdrop of the green grass. It's olive oil season here in Tuscany and the entire countryside is harvesting their crops. Yesterday I had one of the most relaxing times I have ever had. After I helped pick some olives and took a stroll near the lake, I was able to enjoy some olive oil that had been made from that grove the day before. Along with the toasted bread with olive oil came andante pasta with fresh basil and tomatoes, our choice of chicken, ham, or pork accompanied with a beautiful green salad adorned with fresh balsamic vinegar that our host had made. And as is Tuscan style, we had a wonderful custard dessert. I won't go into any detail about that though because I am sure you will all hate me. After this huge meal, I rolled into the car and went to visit the olive press that they used to make the oil. Because these machines are so expensive, there are only a few in Tuscany and the time rented is very valuable. The work that goes into it all is amazing, and so is the product. Let me know if you want me to bring some fresh olive oil back for you! I took about 200 pictures yesterday, so I'll just show my favorites.
Please pray for my parents within the next 24 hours as they are flying into Florence tonight to see me! I am so excited to see them and show them around- they're excited too! They get a free tour guide!

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Goregous...it's all goregous. Yes, that means you too!

Anonymous said...

Hello, woman. I've just now seen your blog, and how jealous am I!!

You are beautiful dahling.

-Michelle

greensing said...

UM WHAT.

YOU DID WHAAAAAAAAAAT.

I am living vicariously through you. And salivating.

And I want to be there with you soooo badly that I can't handle it.

I hope you have a fantastic time with your parents! Tell them I said hi. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Kate, you made me so hungry reading about all that. I want to go to Italy so bad someday. But I wish i could see it how you are. Not just a vacation! Glad you are doing well and having a great time.

Sarah Smith