07 September 2006

A few highlights of Firenze


There are so many things in Firenze that I love. The shops, the churches, the cappucino-- pretty much everything. I just wanted highlight a few wonderful things I have seen thus far.
About a week ago, we went out to celebrate Jose's birthday. Him and his girlfriend, April, very dear people, are from Southern California and are so much fun to be around. Because Jose is from Mexico, we decided to go to a Mexican restaurant, which turned out to be some of the best food I had ever had. Not only was the food great, but his "birthday cake" was amazing.

Here it is up close and personal. Yeah, even the Mexican restaurants in Florence do birthday's RIGHT. So (I know this will come as a shocker to most of you), wonderful thing #1: the food.
Walking around Florence is one of the most fun things to do. Watching the Italians do their thing and pretend no one is around, watching the tourist being all touristy, and watching the street vendors harass the shoppers. But there is culture here, there is life here, and there is art. Walking around Florence and being able to see the amazing art in the buildings, in the store windows, and above all in the people, is wonderful thing #2.
This is one of the many Florentines that shows here artwork on the sidewalk using nothing but chalk, and talent.
And the last wonderful thing for today (there will be more to come soon), is pretty self explanatory, especially from the pictures I have posted thus far. Wonderful thing #3: The views.

This is the view of the Duomo from the Palazzo Pitti.

I am talking this picture standing on the Ponte Vecchio bridge, the only bridge in Florence that wasn't bombed in WWII. One of the best views in Florence thus far that I've seen: down the Arno River (this one is for you, Diana).

God has put Psalm 37 on my heart these last few days. I know we have all read it so many times, but for some reason it is really coming alive to me. Read it again and see what you think.
I hope you all have a wonderful day. I miss and love you all very much.

10 comments:

Brian Gurley, M.S.M. said...

Simply amazing, Kate. What an experience.

There are classes on this vacation, right??

Glad you're doing well and enjoying Italia.

Brian Gurley, M.S.M. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
greensing said...

Oh Kate, thank you.

Katie said...

Wish you were here...

Jersey said...

this is absolutely wonderful.

Chip&Marcia said...

It's all so beaautiful Kate!! The Chalk art picture reminds me of Via Calor here in Columbus.
WE MISS and LOVE YOU

openbook411 said...

Verse 8, "Do not fret, it leads only to evil doing" really stuck out at me. I think it is because when we fret, we begin to become more concerned with serving ourselves than with serving God, which is a form of evil doing.

Wouldn't you know, that's exactly what I needed to hear today. God tends to work that way for us doesn't He?

Abbey said...

I think you should call me or e-mail me... because well i am your sister... I love you!!

E&M said...

Either your life has suddenly become fictional, or you're actually in Italy and everything is truly that amazing! I'm sure you're really enjoying everything you possibly can.

By the way, seeing you talk about Firenze and the Arno and the Ponte Vecchio makes me think about Gianni Schicchi (which i was in last semester).

Anyway, I hope you're doing wonderfully!

greensing said...

yeah, ps. i'm in an opera. and it's none other than gianni schicchi. jump off the ponte vecchio for me, will you?