04 September 2006

Cinque Terre

Christine is our Site Director here at the Instituto Europeo. She was the first person we met after we got off the plane, the one that found the broom in our apartment, and the one who takes us on the "excursions" that we are promised entering the program. Yesterday we went on our first excursion. It was one of the most enjoyable days of my life and I wished that every one of you were there to share it with me.
We hopped on the train in Firenze to Cinque Terre, a chain of 5 little towns on the western coast of Italy traveled through by train, by boat, or by walking. When we walked around the corner of the train station, not knowing what to expect at all and a little dazed from the 3 hour train ride, we saw a little slice of heaven.

I spent the day walking/boating to the different towns, shopping in the little boutiques, laying out on the rocks and dipping my feet into the Mediterranean. WHAT? Did that ACTUALLY HAPPEN? To tell you the truth, I was completley speechless all day. People kept asking what was wrong, and I would look around me and then back at them and say "Is this for real?". God is so good. This earth he has given us to enjoy is something we should never take for granted. We should see His might, His power, and His glory in all of these things regardless of our circumstances. And that is certainly what God taught me yesterday.

It's not easy being alone here. I have met no Christians, and miss all of you so much. But through my wonderful experience yesterday with God's majesty, I know that I will never, ever, be alone. Look out your window and thank God for the things you see and treasure seeing Christ in that special way.

Here are some other pictures I thought you'd enjoy!
God Bless





6 comments:

Chip&Marcia said...

Kate,
It is so beautiful!!! I am so glad that you are getting to see all these wonderful places, and sharing them with us. You know we are there in heart.
We love you and miss you so much!!!

Anonymous said...

I do not really know what to say. I am really glad you are there. It even makes COTW look like rather bland. I know you will get the most out of this semester.

Anonymous said...

You are certainly making the most of this semester. That place even makes COTW rather bland. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

leaving comments is apparently a difficult challenge for me, as I didn't think the original one made it through. But now that I have made three, I seem to be getting the hang of it.

greensing said...

aaasldnvalskn...

please tell me that i can have a cd of your pictures for my screensaver....it can be a christmas present :)

Elizabeth said...

we'll have to catch up soon. much has gone on since i last called. i loved Firenze. there was this great market there, which you probably already know about and have frequented, just down from Ponte Vechio. i mean who can pass up shopping (and haggling)in Italy...for reals. i could be jealous, but i'll go back some day. enjoy.

Love you