12 August 2006

The Social Hall

I came to the social hall this afternoon to complete my "Pre-departure Orientation" for my study abroad experience. It talked about how I need to make sure not to talk about how much money I have and how cheap everything is in Italy-- in essence, don't be an "ugly American". I think I can handle that. So, don't scream about how "behind the times" Italy is and how much better everything is in the States and stereotype everyone who walks by. Got it. Good thing my wonderful brothers in Christ were with me to laugh about all of this. I am going to miss them.

I am at a very strange part in my life. I think about this place and how wonderful it has been and the amazing people that I have met and I become super sentimental and thankful. Then I think about how much I am going to miss them all and I get really sad worried that I am never going to talk to them again. I then think about all of my friends at home that I haven't talked to in so long and how it is going to be a very very long time until I talk to them again like I want to-- when I am around them and with them. Then I think about the 5 days I have at home before I leave for Florence and how many people I want to see in that time and how I am never going to see everyone I want to. The expectation of my time at home is way up high and I think I need to just give it to God. I need to set it apart and let all of my plans fall into His hands. It's the only way I am going to be happy and not be sad and guilty for not seeing everyone I want to. And then there is Italy. What to expect, what my classes will be like, who my roommates will be... everything.

If you think about it, send up a prayer for me. You are all in my prayers daily and I thank you for your phone calls and cards. I am so blessed by each one of you. Love you.

3 comments:

Brian Gurley, M.S.M. said...

Well said, Kate. I feel the same way. Even though I'm saddened by the fact that I won't be able to see my friends as often as I'd like, I remember how fast four years went. I expect that I'll blink, and two more years will be over. One semester should be even faster, so learn as much as you can.

We both have unbelievable opportunities coming up (I leave tomorrow), and I know our friends at home will be just as eager to hear our stories as we are to share them I hope to hear/read great things from Italy!

God bless.

Chip&Marcia said...

The prayers are there always!! And we are so excited to see you on some of your short 5 days at home and even more excited to see how God is going to use you in Italy!! We live you dear sister!! See you next week!!

Carl Meyer said...

Isn't it a great problem to have, I mean, all the friends and family and all. You will do great in Italy. The only worry I have is how much Mom and I will miss you! See you in a few days. Love, Daddy