29 April 2007

an italian feast

This post is long overdue. I was waiting for pictures of this event, but they never came. Thus, I must describe this wonderful experience using just my words. I guess it was about a month ago now- my dear friend, Christopher Scott Aitken (isn't that a great name? I totally want to name one of my kids Christopher Scott...) had me and 7 of his other friends over for a 7-course Italian meal. With the help of his fearless side kick, the funniest guy in my life (well- my brother-in-law is a contender for this position as well), Aaron Gottier, he served the following: an assorted cheese plate, Shrimp Cocktail, Insalata: arugula, pear, and asiago cheese, Lemon sorbet (ya know, per pulire del palato), Bruchetta, Manicotti and per dolce: Cinnamon meringue with whipped cream and raspberries.
The best part about it was that it was all made from scratch- yes, even the sorbet which was served inside the frozen lemon garnished with mint leaves. And everything was presented so elegantly, not just the food. There were names with each place setting at the table, along with a beautiful center piece adorned with red roses and rose petals. It was elegant and classy. And to tell you the truth, it was a little surreal.
Here I was sitting down at this wonderful meal set up by my friends just because they wanted to serve us. They didn't even sit down and eat with us. They cleared our plates after each course, brought drinks around, asked us if we ever needed anything. I tried to help and they wouldn't let me! Aaron kicked me out of the kitchen numerous times. I don't think I have ever been served like that before by my friends. I have never been loved in that way before.
I felt honored to be friends with these people. It was just such a special evening- one of the best nights I have had at Grove City, hands down. It made my heart smile- a lot.

Oh, and sorry for the scary picture- it's the best one I could find of those guys :-).

1 comment:

Nick said...

What a wonderful experience and wonderful friends! I still have fond memories of a dinner party with friends in high school - the friends are what counted about it!

And thanks for the compliment. I take that as very high praise... :)